Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Did Not Inherit My Dad's Decision-making Skills

I went to the Cannon Center today for lunch.

SIDE NOTE: Get a Meal Plan. If you go to BYU and you are always on campus doing homework (like I am), then you should definitely get a Meal Plan. $6.50 gets me an all-you-can-eat dinner at the Cannon Center. The place is about twice the size of Chuck-a-rama (bad comparison) and yet it has FIVE TIMES as much food! AND IT'S GOOD FOOD, TOO!

So I went to the cashier to have her swipe my BYU I.D. to pay for it. But then I stopped and said to myself, "Now wait a minute. Do I really want to eat here? I feel like I've eaten here every day [which is the truth]. Why don't I stop off at the BYU Creamery right next door and just eat a hamburger or something?"

It took me about five minutes to decide that, yes, I actually do want to go over to the Creamery and buy a sandwich or two. That was a hard decision.

Then. I sat at the Creamery counter for a really long time trying to read their menu and decide what I really wanted. The cashier said,

"Oh, don't worry about it!
Take your time!
You're fine!"

like she gets paid to say, and then I finally came up with what I wanted to order.

It was only after she had rung up my order and swiped my ID card as payment that I realized I was paying $8.15 for a couple of grilled chicken sandwiches that probably aren't even that healthy, when I could have a full-course all-you-can-eat buffet of exceptionally healthy food right next door at the Cannon Center for just six bucks. So I asked her to give me a refund.

I feel really, really bad about this in retrospect.

But the worst part is that she had no idea how to give me a refund (probably because nobody at the Creamery orders their food, pays for it, and then immediately asks for a refund like I did). So she spent a few minutes to try to mess with the computer to figure it out. Then it got to the point where she had to go get her co-worker from the other register across the room to come figure it out. That girl looked at it, tried to figure it out, but realized she had no idea how to do it either.

The whole time I'm sitting there apologizing like an idiot for making them give me a refund immediately after I had paid for my food.

Then they had to go get their MANAGER to come and help me get my ridiculous and unjustifiable refund. She knew what to do. Everyone was left really confused and/or annoyed, and I walked away as quickly as I could.

I walked back to the Cannon Center, and the girl at the register gave me a puzzled look when I walked up and explained that I had changed my mind, that I'm terribly indecisive, and that I actually do want to eat at the Cannon Center. She looked at me and said, "You mean you were over at the Creamery that whole time? Wow. That took you a while."


3 comments:

Streetlights94 said...

Ethan would have totally just gone straight for the Cannon Center. He loves Chuck-a-Rama and if we had to, we would eat there every time we ate out. Obviously he would have been disgusted by your indecisiveness but applauded your frugality.

tiger lily said...

I laughed very much at this.

karlee said...

that is wonderful.

Post a Comment