Friday, August 7, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

Tonight I went and saw a Dodgers game. Needless to say, I am now a big Dodgers fan (even though out of all the sports I would pay to see live, baseball is the sport I understand the least).

And now, listen to my newly-acquired baseball talk as I report the game:

Tonight the Dodgers smashed the Braves out of the ballpark leaving the crowd with a surprising, yet satisfying finish. Unfortunately for the 56,000 fans at the Dodger Stadium, the crowd favorite, Manny Ramirez (no. 99), struck out both times while at bat. But disappointed crowds weren't left frowning since Andre Either hit one out of the park in the bottom of the ninth, resulting in a three-run homer that left the score standing at 5 - 4 with the game going to the Dodgers.

Other news coming from Dodger Stadium tonight: Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came from all over LA to support the Dodgers after tonight was dubbed 'Mormon Night' by the Dodger Stadium marketing team. Unfortunately, Dodger Stadium big-wigs had to learn about the Word of Wisdom the hard way after they discovered that the Mormons left the stadium with alcohol sales at an all-time low. It turns out that even the most brilliant of ideas can turn awry.

Also this:


My new-found cool person is the 77-year old organist who accompanies the entire stadium in the National Anthem, 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game' -- the 7th-inning stretch classic, and of course all the organ-led cheers we hear throughout the game. Who knew that the music they pipe through the loud speakers was actually a live accompaniment? Nancy Bea Hefley is her name, and ballpark organ playing is her game. A very cool person, indeed.

And she even has a MySpace page!

0 comments:

Post a Comment