Thursday, August 27, 2009

Of Novels, Late Nights, and a Man Named Steinbeck, Part Deux

Well, I finished the book a few nights ago when I said I was going to stay up and finish it. But out of slight embarrassment, I won't tell you how long it took me. You see, I'm a very slow reader, and it's only necessary for slow readers to tell you whether or not they finished a book. It's up to them to decide whether or not they will you how long it actually took them to finish it. Those are the rules!

But the amount of time it took me to finish the book isn't what people are wondering. They want to know what I thought of it! They want to know if I enjoyed it, or if I though it was complete garbage. So now, without further ado...

The review:

[WARNING: I'm going to talk about the book in such a way that IT WILL GIVE IT AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT. So, please, do yourself a favor and don't read below unless you have already read the book.]

Did I enjoy the book?
I loved the book.
Would I read it again?
Yes, but not for a while. It was a long book for me to read, and I think I'm going to go read something much lighter now. Something like...the Old Testament.

Was I disappointed in any way?
Yes, a little bit. The entire time Steinbeck describes the massive migration of the families and the terrible discrimination they receive when they arrive, and he builds it more and more all the way to the end of the book. I thought it would end with a massive strike by the people, or that it would show how the families somehow found justice in the midst of their struggles or something. I don't know, really. I was just disappointed that the Joads, or that the entire group of migrants, didn't ever find relief. But I suppose it helps further Steinbeck's main message of the book if they don't find that relief.

Also, I thought the book attacked religion too much, and that was pretty disappointing as well. Reasons why I think this: Casy (who is pretty much da bomb, by the way) spends much of his conversation in the beginning with others telling about how empty and meaningless his former preaching used to be, and then he stops talking completely because it troubles him so much, but the minute he realizes the importance of humanity (which I think is the main theme of The Grapes of Wrath), he does a complete 180 in personality and suddenly he is the martyr-leader of the strike. Also, during the dance in the middle of the book at the government camp, Steinbeck frequently describes the religious zealots as the crazy people who unfairly misjudge and criticize the other members of the camp, causing much harm to Rose of Sharon and others. Also, Uncle John's character is used to show how much of a burden people can be who are obsessive in their concern with their sins. (His character confuses me, though, as I will discuss below. Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts and ideas about him.)

What did I like about the book?
I thought the main message about contributing to humanity was deeply moving. I thought it was great how the Joads always found ways to help other people, even when they were in destitute circumstances. I thought Steinbeck's writing was incredible, and I now understand why people think he's such a great writer. I thought it was cool how he constructed the book, by following both the family and the entire struggle of the people. And lastly, I thought it was very a very applicable message for our time, and it was great to think about how such discrimination continues today.

Any parts I didn't like?
By the end of the book I was completely exhausted. But I think Steinbeck wanted the reader to feel the exhaustion from what the family was going through, so I don't mind that really.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out Uncle John. The entire book he burdens the family by being so depressed about his sins and his drinking problem. That's all I saw from him. It was a little unsettling.

And I thought the man's story who has one eye was pretty sad. I loved Tom's frank remarks to the man about how he needs to change his life. But when Steinbeck ended that scene with him lying on his cot crying to himself because his life is so miserable, I felt so sorry for the guy since he has such a depressing life. But I really don't know. I'm probably misinterpreting that scene completely.

Any memorable moments of the book?
It was really moving when they enter into California, and you find out that the during entire drive across the border the mom had forced herself to remain quiet while staying up on top of the truck with their dead grandmother so as to not wake anybody or cause them to worry. And when it shows how she is completely exhausted after such a long night...Wow. The mom is totally my hero.

Also, when Casy takes the blame for Tom hitting the sheriff and goes to jail for him...that's a great part of the book too.

And I thought the grandpa was hilarious...while he was alive.

And even the brief part at the very end where the Joads meet that boy and his dying father is amazing...how the son tells the Joads that his dad would tell him to just eat their food because the dad 'wasn't hungry' or because he 'already ate'. I find the love a parent has for his or her child a very profound and moving thing to think about. I'm glad the book included this in the ending.

And who can forget the final scene?! Rose of Sharon has absolutely nothing, and yet she still realizes the importance of finding ways to help others--to contribute to humanity--despite all of her personal losses. Even though she is devastated after losing her own child at childbirth, she still realizes that she can offer her milk to the dying man in the barn. That was an incredible scene.

And lastly...

Would I recommend that you read this book?

Most definitely.


Please send me a long, detailed email at ads23384@gmail.com and let me know what you thought of the book! (Or just leave a comment.)

1 comments:

Streetlights94 said...

I think what has always struck me the most about Uncle John is how profoundly we need the Lord's Atonement in our lives to ease the burden of guilt we will so wrongly place upon ourselves. So often we will take upon ourselves the responsibility of something that is beyond our control because we might not want to admit that the event is beyond our control. And instead of trying to make sense of something that is seemingly senseless, we instead blame ourselves. How gracious, then, is the Atonement in our lives to lift that burden not only from us but also from those around us who see us suffer. So I see in Uncle John what could have been if perhaps that "bitter cup" had passed and the Lord had not atoned for not only our sins but also for our sorrows.

Post a Comment